Monday, September 15, 2008

UML the right tool .... Really !!


So i was talking to one of my friends and we were talking about BP "Business Process", and how does the analysis for a BP differ from other type of project. and he shocked me with his response that he model Business Processes with UML!!!

I: let me ask you one question, would you use a jackhammer to open a canned tuna? Him: No sure not.

I: Probably you are using a CASE tool right?
Him
: Yes


I: What sort of diagram you gonna use?
Him: Activity Diagram for sure.

I: I guessed so, okay tell me Is UML a methodology ?
Him: I guess not.

I: Does Activity Diagram have a notation for processes fault handling and compensation, and data storage?
Him: hmmm i guess not.

I: Does Activity Diagram allow you to add sub-processes and define micro transactions?
Him
: haaaa !!! No i Guess.

I: one last thing, does it allow you to express the 2 commit protocol of the transaction state?
Him: Okay it doesn't, what do you suggest?

I: first as an analyst you need to think out of the box, UML is not the only modeling notation in the world, plus its just a notation it doesn't tell you how to build you diagram, it just what is this diagram.

So whenever facing a situation when you need to model, think how I'm going to benefit from my model, or its just a one time thing, and will be thrown away after finished. i learned this after long hours of modeling and not using what i did.

And for the BPM, you need to learn
BMP notation and BP analysis, as Business Process is a methodology more than just a notation you will need to learn when to commit and when to add handeler and how to calculate FLOW TIME, Throughput Rate.

By this we ended our conversation , in my next article i would talk aout UML and Scott Ambler ideas of its insufficiency

No comments: